Wednesday 9 February 2011

18. Love Story - Duchess Theatre

This was another repeat visit for me as I couldn’t bare not to see it again before it’s far too premature closure, especially given that it ended up being my third favourite musical of last year – I saw the first preview with a friend last year based purely on the fact that we had a gap in our schedule and there was a pleasing symmetry to doing the first performance of this against the last performance of Design for Living on the same day. I also had vague memories of Michael Xavier being rather good in Into The Woods...

As it turned out it was an excellent choice and rather good was an understatement as truthfully he’s a stunning performer who I suspect I’ll be following for many years in the future and a huge amount of the show’s power rests on his ability to take himself through hell and back every performance and to take the audience with him. I’ve rarely seen such a heartfelt emotional performance, he absolutely breaks your heart. Emma Williams, similarly is incredible (and another performer to follow – following favourite performers generally serves me well as I’ve ended up falling in shows I’d likely not have gone to otherwise). With Jenny both the writers and Emma have done an incredible job of creating a vivid, layered character – who can be abrupt and spiky and eminently likable. She truly carried the story, leading you through it and by the end it’s a distinct loss to know that there’s no more time with her. Both are astounding actors, this is a production that demands it and if either hadn’t worked in their part it would have completely fallen apart. The rest of the small ensemble were similarly impressive.

On top of the masterful performances though what I really ended up loving was that this isn’t a great, epic story – it’s small and personal and ordinary and very relatable – and it’s powerful and heartbreaking and extraordinary because of those things. I love that I’ve been able to see both plays and musicals recently that have chosen to celebrate the ordinary in this way recently.

I think though, in the end, what I ended up loving most of all is the music. It may not and big show stealing numbers, but it’s a beautifully understated and simple score. The choice of instruments – piano, strings and acoustic guitar – resonate in ways that a full orchestra or rock orchestra simply wouldn’t. I also think the score uses repetition masterfully. Songs ebb and flow naturally through the piece, adding emphasis and emotional echoes. The most noticeably example was Jenny returning to the Nocturnes theme in her last trembling broken piano recital – bringing back to the audience every hope and dream that has been lost. I also love how natural this repetition and flow of the music feels, music is such an integral part of Jenny’s life and personality it only seems right that it’s how she expresses herself.

It may have made me sob to watch it but I’m so glad I did and it’s a huge shame that it closed early.


No comments:

Post a Comment