Saturday 19 February 2011

23. Little Platoons - Bush Theatre

Must admit that this play has been a nightmare to write about because whilst I liked everything, I didn’t love anything (or hate anything either for that matter) and as it turns out ambivalence is a difficult place to find inspiration.


Mostly, having thought about it for a ridiculously long time – I’ve decided that possibly I just wasn’t the right audience for the play – I’m not invested in the issues at hand, I’ve been out of school long enough to have not really heard about free schools and to feel disconnected from the problems being raised and the likelihood of me having a child facing these horrors in the next decade is minimal.

Despite which I thought it was well written (I may or may not have dramatically re-enacted some of the funnier moments for friends – the fancying Nick Clegg rant has proved a particular favourite); I liked the set – particularly in the second half – with the recreation of the Bush’ walls as blackboards with typically cheesy inspirational slogans plastered across them and the wonderful familiarity of the school tables (at least some things never change).

I also felt the acting was very good throughout, with things particularly coming together once Joanne Froggatt appeared as Polly – the overly recognisable sort of modern public official, with odd mixtures of corporate slang and teenage buzz words (“mad keen” anyone). I also generally liked the stuff with the teenagers, a well captured stereotype and found myself genuinely caring about Christopher Simpson's character, Pav.#

Certainly not a waste of an afternoon and up to the Bush’ normally high standards even if it has proved a bugger to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment