Saturday 1 January 2011

The Grand Hamlet-Off 2011

Sometimes an idea just pops into your head – a ridiculous, dangerous idea. Sometimes it’s more like it’s been forced into your head just by looking at your theatre schedule. Sometimes twitter suggested it. This is one of those times.

I’ve decided this year to see as many Hamlets as I possibly can (there are a lot of them around) – fringe Hamlets, alternative Hamlets, big-name Hamlets– they’re all fair game. And at the end of the year will be the Grand Hamlet Face Off (I’m picturing it as some sort of cage fight but I'll have to wait and see). A better name would also be highly appreciated, any suggestions?


So if you hear of any Hamlet’s coming up, or of ones I missed, let me know (I’ll put a list below of the ones I’m going to - the ones marked with * are not actually Shakespeare's Hamlet but do take inspiration from it and do - I think - feature the character Hamlet). Company/moral support also always welcome. I fear I may live to regret this. Though I fear more, I may not live to regret this. After all it’s a lot of angst to survive.

SEEN:
Hamlet - National Theatre (Rory Kinnear - The Technical Hamlet)
Young Person's Shakespeare Hamlet - Swan Theatre (Dharmesh Patel - Just Emotional Hamlet)
Hamlet 1603 - White Bear Theatre (Jamie Matthewman - Ladies Man Hamlet)
Hamlet - The Globe (Joshua McGuire - Posh Geeky Hamlet)
Hamlet - Northern Broadsides at the Rose Kingston (Nicholas Shaw - Burton Lite Hamlet)
* Hamlet the Musical - Richmond Theatre (Jack Shalloo - Moody Teen Dream Hamlet)

* Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - Chichester Festival Theatre (Jack Hawkins - Swashbuckling Mostly Off Stage Hamlet)
Hamlet - Sovereign Arts/Oxford University at St Pauls Church, Covent Garden (Will Spray - Princely Rockstar Hamlet)

BOOKED/TO BOOK:


* Berkof Presents: The Man Who Was Hamlet - Riverside Studios (George Dillon)
Hamlet - Stamford Shakespeare  (????)
Hamlet - Shakespeare Live at Lackham House (???)
Scratch Hamlet - ReAct Theatre Company at Theatre Royal Winchester (???)
*Wittenberg - Gate Theatre (????)
Hamlet - Young Vic (Michael Sheen)

MISSED :(

Hamlet - Icarus Theatre Collective at the Ashcroft Theatre (Giles Roberts)
Factory Hamlet - Rose Kingston / V&A Museum
Hamlet Clown Prince - Hackney Empire
* Kupenga Kwa Hamlet - Tara Arts (Denton Chikura/Tonderai Munyevu)

Sure there will be more to come. Hoping to get to over 15. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment