Wednesday 30 March 2011

43. Woody Sez - Arts Theatre

This wasn’t a show I’d planned to see having little knowledge of Woody Guthrie and feeling a little exhausted by jukebox musicals, but having spotted a last minute deal I decided to give it a chance and I was completely won over. I’ve come away with a deep abiding respect for Guthrie – what an incredible man with so much drive and passion and social concern. Several of his albums (and those connected with him) have worked their way on to my “to buy when the theatre stops being such a demanding mistress” list.


A big part of what makes this show so successful is the obvious love the cast have for their subject and inspiration. The way they handled the biographical aspect of this show really worked for me. Firstly they didn’t attempt to tell a straight or thorough account of Woody’s life but instead gave a flavour of it, illustrating it with both small and momentous moments. For example his time with Leadbelly was barely touched upon. I also really loved that they very rarely crossed the line of telling us about Woody to pretending to be him, except when they were using his own words – either through quotes or more commonly through song – allowing him to speak for himself.  It felt like you were getting a taste of his character rather than a colder analysis and bizarrely felt more real for that.

They also managed to create a very intimate, relaxed atmosphere – turning this story into a conversation between them and the audience as an individuals. This was created from the out with the small cast playing a few relaxed tunes to warm up in front of the audience and also taking the opportunity to chat off the record, so to speak, even commenting on someone arriving late, but in a nice rather than embarrassing way. They also invited people to their last Saturday Hogmany where anyone could bring an instrument and join in (I wish I could have gone, but Stratford was a more pressing engagement).

The whole show is carried by a cast of four – who all act, sing, create a variety of roles and play all the instruments themselves (including the spoons!) and it was impressive how many instruments they had mastered between them, especially as on the night I attended there were two understudies on, Ruth Clarke-Irons and David Finch joining Helen Jean Russell and David Lutken. If it hadn’t said in the programme, I would never have guessed they weren’t the regulars as they were all incredibly assured. Lutken though is the real star (after Woody himself, of course) with an incredibly touching and warm performance. In terms of songs, a huge number are used and given the format of the show it’s difficult to choose favourites – though Dust Storm Disaster stood out for me.

My enjoyment was also heightened by the show touching upon two subjects that I’m very interested in. Firstly as an agricultural historian (I’m full of surprises) I find the great depression fascinating, I think you could learn a huge amount about the Roman Republican crisis, which is more my era, by studying it. Though that’s a matter for other places. Secondly, there’s something horribly poetic about the way people are haunted by the same thing. So in Nevermore last year I saw again and again how consumption seemed to be chasing Edgar Allan Poe and slowly tearing him apart. With Woody Guthrie it was fire, recurring again and again.

It’s an odd thing, but one I find powerful – which is as good a summation of this production as any I could make.

No comments:

Post a Comment