Tuesday 8 March 2011

30. The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee - Donmar Warehouse


I rather suspect that you can’t get much further away from a First World War drama that The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (though it certainly completes my run of three plays with ridiculously long titles) - but what’s life without some contrast. Particularly as I was certainly won over by both productions – how could I resist, when this was just so bright and fun and clever and inventive - it was hard not to fall head over heels.

In fact it was almost love at first sight as I walked into the Donmar auditorium to find that it had been transformed lock, stock and barrel into an American school hall – with even the normal bench seat downstairs being replaced by bright blue folding chairs. I’m guessing, or perhaps hoping is the word, following the similarly thorough transformation that occurred for King Lear that this spreading of the stage design throughout the theatre is a trademark of the Donmar – and one I really, really love.

As well as the theatre transformation, the cast sucked you into the show from the start as a vast part of them wandered around the audience before hand chatting to them. It ended up being something of a bizarre experience as although I obviously knew they were adult actors, they were so thoroughly convincing that I found myself automatically talking to them as if they were children. It was also a good chance to find a few early favourites in the competition  - as it was hard not to laugh whilst watching Chris Carswell as Leaf Coneybear trying to clamber up a ladder behind the lighting crew or David Fynn as William Barfee bestowing a wet willy upon a poor unsuspecting audience member.

I think it also worked well getting audience members up onstage as participants, giving us someone to root for. I was particularly impressed as this is, I think, the first time I’ve seen audience members have to take part in dance routines. Plus, we were in for something of a special treat as one of our competitors for the night was Danielle Hope, obviously taking the night off from The Wizard of Oz, even if she was soon carted off in disgrace. My favourite was a young lad with the following exchange: - “Can I have a definition please?” “It’s a cow.” “Can you use it in a sentence?” “Spell the word cow.”

Throughout, the show managed to feel very improvisational, partly down to the audience participant directed commentary, presumably penned on the night. This was certainly part of its charm but is, I must admit a reason I would hesitate to see the show again, despite enjoying it. I suspect the vast majority of it was scripted but I think I’d be disappointed to go back and learn just how much was. It’s already been a bit of a let down to find out the “Shit that’s right” moment happens every night. Either way it’s certainly impressive how fresh the cast makes every line feel.

It’s also the reason I think hiring someone known primarily as a comedian really works, we’re used to the idea that they’re making things up on the spot, on top of which I thought Steve Pemberton was excellent. Really though the stars of the show are the actors playing the kids. I’d gone in feeling there couldn’t be much story to tell in a spelling bee, but actually the exploration of the individual kids stories was fascinating and the competitiveness somewhat gripping (this must be what X-Factor fans feel like).

 I also found it made me oddly self-reflective – the question of how childhood and our parents screws us up is always a pertinent one and with the adult characters here acting as examples it was especially interesting. I found myself getting emotional during Olive’s song, ‘The I Love You Song’ - which was a little bizarre. And I suspect that because of the way the show presents types of characters, almost everyone would find someone to relate to.

The music generally was fun, lively and anarchic – with ‘I Speak Six Languages’ emerging as another favourite – though this was again a case where I found it difficult afterwards to remember the songs. The curse of the modern musical. I also thought the choreography was excellent throughout, if a bit reminiscent of Spring Awakening and Matilda. Lots of jumping around in other words – this is obviously a sign of youth.

Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish, excellent production all round, even if it didn’t become an instant favourite. And how can I make any complaints against a show that actually taught me stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment