Friday 1 July 2011

Interval Awards - Part 4

The fourth and final part (which is a bit of a relief) and I'm going to end relatively easily with a countdown of my favourite ten productions of the year so far:



*************************************************

Best Productions:

10. Hamlet 1603 - White Bear Theatre
I've seen a lot of Hamlets this year (currently 800% more Hamlets than I had seen in my life previously) - but it was this bad quarto Hamlet that really blew me away. The speed, the wonderful setting, the marvellous production choices, the best actors scene I've yet seen, the great performances, the blurring between audience and cast and a beautifully haunting use of music. There was a ridiculous amount to love in this production.

9. Company - Southwark Playhouse
Company was not a musical I was familiar with before I saw this production and I was utterly enchanted - it was clever, deep, emotional and charming and performed by an exceptionally talented cast. I also loved getting to see it on such an intimate thrust stage, the use of the space and the beauty of the music - it absolutely sparkled.

8. Merchant of Venice - Royal Shakespeare Theatre
Though I know I should trust both the RSC and Rupert Goold, I loved this far more than I expected to - the setting was so inventive, incredibly fun and it had the best pre-show sequence I've seen. But it was how the story developed, the new way of percieving the play, in the second half which really set it apart.

7. Macbeth - Royal Shakespeare Theatre 
This production has recieved quite mixed reactions from the theatre crowd, it really worked for me - filled with clever, inventive ideas and leaving me shuddering with the tension at the end. Plus several of the performances, Jonathan Slinger in particular, were astounding. Though it was by no means perfect it more than earned it's place on the list.

6. Iolanthe - Wilton's Music Hall
I'm pretty certain if you could bottle joy you would end up with Iolanthe - there was simply nothing to fault in the production - the performances, the aesthetic, the direction, the music, the choreography and especially the way it fitted so perfectly into Wilton's Music Hall was magic.


5. I Am The Wind - Young Vic
This is probably the most divisive theatre of the year so far but for the beauty and the impressiveness of the set, the central performances and the way it showed me things about myself made it an incredibly powerful production for me.

4. Richard II - Bristol Tobacco Factory
Partly this feels like a perfect performance to be because John Heffernan was so amazing in it but I also believe he was well supported by a strong cast and an interesting and beautiful production. Never have 3+ hours passed so quickly or been so entrancing.

3. Electra - Gate Theatre
I'm a huge fan of Greek theatre but I've never seen it feel so relevant and so powerful as it did here - an intense, highly conceptual but also highly real production which left me shaken and filled with memorable moments and images.

2. Then The Snow Came - Orange Tree Theatre
My list was all ready to go and then yesterday I saw this and was completely blown away - one of the most magical plays I have seen all year - it both filled me with wonder and broke my heart - expertly acted, gripping and hopefully with a strong future ahead of it.

1. As You Like It - The Globe
I suspect that it will be no surprise to anyone who even vaguely follows my twitter that this is top of my list - such a perfect combination of setting, clever ideas, wonderful performances, music, fun, joy, sorrow - everything. Such a rich production and an emotionally enriching experience. Truly wonderful work all round.



And there you go - I don't know whether to be unsurprised or horrified that half of these are Shakespeare's - but there are so many good productions this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment